I love soup, do you love soup? I could eat soup for every single lunch or dinner, there’s so many options out there. There’s sweet soup, spicy soup, vegetable, soup, pasta soup, cheesy soup, soup soup soup!
I think the perfect evening could be described as putting on your most comfortable plush striped socks, wearing your pajama pants, eating some creamy soup, reading the book you’re most obsessed with at the moment, cat on your lap, looking at the window and seeing snow. Doesn’t that just sound perfect?
I have the plush socks, the pajamas pants, creamy soup, a good book, plenty of cats. All I need now is soup and snow. Snow will take a few months (unless it’s like 2011 where it snowed on Halloween and shocked some of our garden plants *weep weep*) but I can do something about that soup.
Right now we have so many peppers growing in the garden. Our pepper plants are champions every single year, they are hands down one of our least stressful plants, they just grow.. and grow and grow and grow. Even though it’s October they are still producing so many peppers, with so many more flowers blooming to produce babies. Keep growing peppers, I will keep eating you!
I was craving soup a few nights ago, but I really wanted to use up some of our peppers. I was going to go to my typical stuffed pepper soup but I wanted a meatless dinner and something more creamy, sweet pepper soup was born! This soup works fantastic with a mixture of sweet and bell peppers, so I would suggest mixing if you would like to. We are also using 1 jalapeno pepper in this soup so it gives it a slight kick. To give the soup a little more bite, we throw some rice in at the very end. This soup is delicious, definitely a winner to my soup loving heart.
- 1.5 pounds sweet peppers (you can mix with bell peppers) - chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper - minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme (or 1 tablespoon dried thyme)
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Pour olive oil in pot on medium-high heat.
- Add peppers and saute for 10 minutes until they soften up, continue stirring during this time.
- Add garlic and thyme. Stir for 4 more minutes.
- Pour chicken broth and red pepper flakes in. Stir to combine and continue heating for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and in batches add to your blender. Blend until creamy.
- Add soup back to pot when done.
- Cook your white rice separately. When done, add into soup.
- Serve and enjoy!