Doesn’t a big bowl of pasta just fill you up with happiness for dinner? How about we add a touch of spice with some crushed tomatoes? Magic, right?
That’s how I feel about this recipe, it’s absolutely magical. I think most times when we think of tomato sauce it doesn’t have that kick to it, but this Spicy Italian Crushed Tomato Sauce definitely has some spice. It’s not overly spicy, but there’s enough that gives it a extra zip zap taste. Also, can we talk about the aroma that that this sauce has? It’s delicious. If you give this sauce a shot, just watch your kitchen start to fill up with people asking when dinner is ready. Tell them them a few more minutes and kick them out of your kitchen. Then take a few big spoonfuls of this sauce first.
Speaking of tomatoes… our tomatoes have adjusted from their transplanting period and are now firm in their containers. I love seeing them start to add a few inches of height and turn a nice green color. Expect a big garden update post at the end of this week! The other fresh star of this recipe is the basil. I was able to throw in a big bunch of basil chopped up in this sauce and it was a perfect fit (not to mention the smell was amazing!). Don’t you just love fresh basil? Mmmm!
Now go on and have a great pasta dinner tonight.. enjoy!
Spicy Italian Crushed Tomato SaucePrint
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes or fresh crushed tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 bunch of fresh basil chopped up
- 1 small bell pepper chopped up
- 1 12 ounce package dried pasta of choice
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add red pepper flakes and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil and pepper.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add your pasta of choice and cook as instructed on box. Drain.
- Add pasta sauce to pasta and stir.
- Serve hot and enjoy.