The BEST BAKED MINI Sweet Potato Casserole with BROWN SUGAR Pecan Topping! This easy Southern recipe uses BAKED sweet potatoes to really bring out the flavor! There is a delicious brown sugar pecan crumble on top! I love baking these as mini casseroles as it’s a beautiful presentation at Thanksgiving dinner and everyone gets to eat their own! You can even make these ahead of time and heat up!
Next year we are growing sweet potatoes in the garden because this year I finally fell in love with them in the kitchen! You might have seen my creamy Sweet Potato soup last week, well now I’m back with a Sweet Potato Casserole in Mini individual size!
Mini Sweet Potato Casserole
These MINI Sweet Potato Casseroles With Brown Sugar Pecan Topping are so cute and so delicious! Everyone gets to eat their own mini casserole so they’re going to be a hit at the next holiday dinner!
Let’s talk sweet potatoes first, ok? The way to bring out the flavor of sweet potatoes isn’t by boiling them, but by baking them! Trust me on this! If you did a taste test with a boiled and baked sweet potato, and then mashed it, you would absolutely agree that the baked sweet potato is SO much better!
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
So for this recipe, we’re going to bake the sweet potatoes first before mashing for the casserole. Yes, I know, it’s one additional step, but it’s WORTH IT! I would never make you do more work if the pay off wasn’t big!
To bake the sweet potatoes preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grab your sweet potatoes and pierce them with a fork a few times (fun holiday stress activity!). Place the sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet and bake for 90 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the oven. Hold the sweet potatoes with a potholder (they’re hot!) and the potato will pop right out of it’s skin.
Discard the skin. Use a potato masher or hand mixer to mash the sweet potatoes. It’s that easy! Once your sweet potatoes are baked then we’re ready to begin making these mini casseroles! If you’re worried about the extra 90 minutes of baking time, you could bake these sweet potatoes a day in advance so they’re all ready for you!
Sweet Potato Caserole With Pecans
These mini casseroles are so rich with flavor thanks to the butter, sugar (white and brown!), cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg! Close your eyes and think of how great they smell! Yup, that amazing! And with the pecans – they’re even more yummy!
Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
The mini casserole dishes I use are 6 ounce in sizes which are perfect for individual portions. I always feel like guests really appreciate individual casseroles during the holidays so it adds to the holiday spirit of showing loved ones how special they are to you!
Also, this prevents you from eating half of a pecan pie! These single portions are much more healthy for you, and leaves you room to enjoy other desserts if they’re on the table! 😉
Enjoy these MINI Sweet Potato Casseroles With Brown Sugar Pecan Topping!
Pin for later:
Mini Sweet Potato Casserole With Pecan ToppingPrint
- 2 large BAKED sweet potatoes see directions below
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Baked potatoes really bring out the flavor for this casserole! To bake the sweet potatoes preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grab your sweet potatoes and pierce them with a fork a few times. Place the sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet and bake for 90 minutes. Remove from the oven. Hold the sweet potatoes with a potholder (they're hot) and the potato will pop right out of it's skin. Discard the skin. Use a potato masher or hand mixer to mash the sweet potatoes.
- Turn down your oven to 325 degrees, the temperature we need for the casseroles.
- In a large bowl mix sweet potatoes, sugar, egg, salt, butter, evaporated milk, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- Spray 6 mini casserole dishes with nonstick spray. Pour sweet potato mixture into each dish, about 3/4 of the way filled.
- In a small bowl mix brown sugar and flour. Add room temperature butter and mix until you have a crumbly topping. Add pecans and stir. Sprinkle this mixture on top each of each sweet potato casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.