HOMEMADE Ginger Ale Soda! This DIY simple syrup recipe is easy to make! Make your favorite flavor soda healthy with fresh ingredients and a sparkling water sodastream machine!
As a kid I drank too much soda. As a adult in my early 20’s I continued on a Diet Coke, Cherry Cola path. Then I took a shameful look in the mirror after finishing my 3rd can of Diet Coke and realized it wasn’t the soda that I loved, it was the carbonated water. It was that fizzy water burn that I craved.
So instead of buying 2 liters of soda we bought 2 liters of seltzer water. Most times it was plain, sometimes it was flavored. The great part was that suddenly I was drinking a ton of water. I lost a few pounds, the water made me feel better throughout the day. I didn’t miss the soda at all.
Homemade Seltzer Water!
We bought a SodaStream machine years ago. It’s 100% a must have in the kitchen if you love bubbly seltzer water. A few months ago I noticed that KitchenAid was selling a SodaStream Machine in colors aqua, black, cobalt, green, red, silver, orange and white. What do I love more than great kitchen gadgets? Ones that are colorful and look pretty! We got a aqua sky one, isn’t it a beauty?
Homemade Ginger Ale
I wanted to make a fresh ginger ale syrup with a few basic ingredients. This tastes just like ginger ale soda but without all the bad stuff and calories! If you love ginger ale you’re going to be a fan of this!
You will need star anise for this recipe, which is one of my favorite ingredients for Indian soups! You can buy this from a Asian grocery or buy a entire box on Amazon that will last you forever. You’ll also need some fresh mint.
The star of this drink is the ginger though. It’s not overpowering, it’s just the right taste. Plus who doesn’t love the smell of fresh ginger?
So next time you’re craving ginger ale soda, stay inside and make your own healthy homemade ginger ale!
Pin for later:
Homemade Ginger Ale SodaPrint
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup peeled chopped ginger
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint
- 1 star anise pod
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Add 1/2 cup water to saucepan and bring to a low boil. Add ginger, mint, star anise and allspice and reduce to simmer for 5 minutes. Take off the stove and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Strain liquid to remove all ginger chunks, mint leaves, star anise and allspice.
- In another saucepan add 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil making sure sugar is dissolved.
- Add ginger water to sugar syrup sauce pan and stir.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of ginger ale syrup to 8 oz glass of cold carbonated water. Stir and serve. Refrigerate any ginger ale syrup left over. This will last a few weeks.
Leave a Comment