These Vanilla Frosting Cupcakes made with fresh spinach is a sneaky way to include vegetables in your kids diet. You won’t believe how good these are!
Now before you go reading the title and thinking I’m crazy, I just want to make it clear that I’m a genuine cupcake lover. I’ve been known to go to Crumbs, get the biggest cupcake in the display with vanilla frosting, rainbow sprinkles and eat it up in a couple bites. I’ve been known to go back for seconds. I love sweets, I love cupcakes. So when I found a recipe a few months ago saying I could make cupcakes with fresh spinach and it would taste amazing, I didn’t quite believe it. Even while making these and mixing the spinach in, I still was worried. Really, I could make cupcakes full of spinach and it was going to be good? Really? Well folks.. I have the verdict..
YES YOU CAN.
THESE CUPCAKES ARE AMAZING.
WE ARE TALKING “OMG THESE ARE MADE WITH SPINACH?! WHAT? ARE YOU LYING TO ME? NO IM NOT. “
They will probably change your life.
I have had a post-it note on my desk since June to post the recipe and finally today, I am!
Fresh Spinach Cupcakes
- 1 cup of applesauce
- 4-5 cups fresh raw spinach
- box of store bought yellow cake mix
- icing and sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line your cupcake tins with baking cups.
- Puree the applesauce and spinach in a food processor.
- Put cake mix in a bowl, then add your spinach puree to it.
- Beat with mixer until it’s combined evenly.
- Fill up your cupcake baking cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes, put a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean.
- Let cool, decorate with icing and sprinkles.
- EAT THEM. ALL OF THEM.
I used spinach picked from our garden - if you can pick it fresh, please do!