Easy healthy cupcakes recipe made with just a few simple ingredients – applesauce, fresh spinach, yellow cake mix and topped white frosting and sprinkles. Yes, you read that right! Spinach Cupcakes make for a sneaky way to include vegetables in your kids’ diet. These are perfect for a birthday party!
Spinach Cupcakes Recipe
These Spinach Cupcakes have changed my life. They’re shockingly good and your entire family is going to love them. You’ll never see spinach the same way after baking these!
They’re so good that my 2 year old stole one of the cupcakes from the kitchen counter before I could even photograph them all together! How’s that for a rave review?
These cupcakes bake up green because they are full of fresh spinach. They make such a great alternative to making green cupcakes with food coloring. And with one bite, even your picky kids will gobble these up (like mine!)! I promise you can’t even taste the spinach in them!
Not only are these healthy cupcakes and use applesauce instead of oil or butter, they only require three ingredients!
Want more desserts baked with vegetables? Try my Green Tomato Pie, Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies, 5 Ingredient Pumpkin Cookies, Sugar Glazed Cucumber Bread, Kidney Bean Brownies and Chocolate Avocado Brownies.
Let’s Make Green Spinach Cupcakes
This recipe starts with applesauce and spinach. Add both to the bowl of a food processor.
Blend until the mixture becomes pureed.
Add the cake mix to a mixing bowl with the spinach puree.
Beat with a hand mixer until completely combined.
Fill baking cups in cupcake pan with the batter.
Bake for 20-22 minutes and until a toothpick comes out clean.
These healthy cupcakes are honestly awesome for any day of the week, but how fun would these green cupcakes be for St. Patrick’s Day?!
These would also be a great treat to serve at a Christmas party – think Christmas tree cupcakes or Grinch cupcakes. They’d also be awesome served for a Hulk or Ninja Turtle themed birthday party. So many amazing ideas!
Feel free to use any favorite frosting for the tops. You can change out the sprinkles to accommodate whatever season or holiday might be coming up. If it’s St. Patrick’s Day, use rainbow or green sprinkles. If it’s Easter, use spring colored sprinkles. You get the idea!
I hope you enjoy these cupcakes!
Pin for later:
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup applesauce
- 15.25 oz box of yellow cake mix
- your favorite frosting and sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line your cupcake pan with baking cups.
- Add spinach and applesauce in food processor. Pulse for about a minute, or until completely smooth.
- Add cake mix into large mixing bowl. Add in spinach mixture. Use a hand mixer and mix until the batter is completely combined.
- Fill up your cupcake cups with batter, about 90% of the way full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Decorate with your favorite store bought or homemade frosting. Add sprinkles on top!