HOMEMADE Soft Pretzels Recipe! You won’t believe how easy it is to make buttery soft pretzels at home! This recipe shows you how to make them with step by step instructions.
As a kid one of my favorite treats was soft pretzels. We didn’t make them from scratch in my house, instead Mom always had a frozen box in the freezer. These were easy, take them out and throw them in microwave for 1 minute and then cover in their little salt packets. Boom, a soft pretzel was made.
Easy Homemade Soft Pretzels Recipe
Well these homemade soft pretzels take a little longer than 1 minute to make but I promise you they’re easy to make!
Many years later, I still have that craving for a soft pretzel. Often in NYC I walk by a soft pretzel vendor and suddenly crave a pretzel for the rest of the day. At a baseball game? Yes, very nice gentleman carrying a tray of soft pretzels on his head, throw me one for $8.00, it’s the price you pay for love.
But when I’m at a home in my kitchen, I can relax and make my own soft pretzels. You’re almost guaranteed to have all the ingredients already and they’re ready in less than 45 minutes (that’s counting the 30 minutes it takes for the dough to rise). Although I loved those frozen soft pretzels as a girl, nothing beats a homemade buttery soft pretzel that is warm when you break it apart. Goodness, I’m getting all dreamy just thinking about it.
When I’m craving a soft pretzel I don’t want to wait hours to let the dough rise, I kind of want them right now. Right in my belly. In this recipe we’re only going to let the dough 30 minutes and then let them bake for 10 minutes. How easy are these to make?
So dive in, get your hands covered in flour and twirl around some dough.
Here’s how you’ll want to form each pretzel. It might take a couple times to get it right but pretty soon you’ll be a expert!
You’ll love what comes out of your oven in a bit!
Pin for later:
Homemade Soft Pretzels RecipePrint
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 2 and ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 1 egg
- salt for sprinkling on top of these yummy pretzels coarse, pretzel salt or even regular salt if that’s all you have
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with silicone baking mat or grease baking sheet.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir with a spoon to mix it around.
- Add salt and sugar and continue to mix.
- Add flour and mix good until dough is thick. If you feel like the dough is still too wet, add ¼ cup of flour additional until you get it thick.
- While in bowl knead the dough for 2 minutes. Knead it good. Form dough into ball and let sit for 30 minutes, covered.
- Rip apart 8 sections of dough, approximately same size. Each section equals the size of your pretzel.
- Flour counter surface and roll each individual section out to a rope that is about 20-25 inches long.
- Once ropes are made then wrap them up to make a pretzel shape.
- In a small bowl beat the egg and then lightly brush all surfaces of each pretzel with it. Place on baking mat and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then turn your broiler on and bake for 3-5 more minutes. Keep a eye on the pretzels so they don’t burn. As soon as they reach desired brown/crispness on top, remove from the oven.
- Enjoy and eat these pretzels!