These donuts are crazy. These donuts cray.
I made these one afternoon where I was craving blueberry and sweets. Matthew and I each had one, and we went to our own desks to continue to work. Then I heard Matthew walking towards me in the loft. His plate was empty. “Oh man, can I have another one of them?”
Isn’t that just the dream response?
I told him to eat his heart out. Then we talked about how we should stop doing our work and dedicate our lives to donuts. Oh maybe that was just me, I don’t know, these donuts hit me hard.
I call these muffin top donuts because they are made in a donut pan, but I fill it up to the top with batter so it becomes a muffin on top. It’s a donut on one side, it’s a muffin on the other, it’s happiness inside. Also these are dairy free (I also give a non dairy free option in recipe) so we’re going to pretend that means that they are majorly healthy and these won’t actually cause you a muffin top.
Also I’m really into small batches of donuts, cookies, muffins, etc lately. I don’t really need 18 donuts (not saying I don’t want 18 donuts) so I love these smaller batches. This will make sure I don’t go wild at 5AM in the morning and wake up with guilt of eating my daily calories in 8 minutes. Making smaller batches makes me want to try new recipes too. If I make a big batch of cookies that are going to sit here for a week, chances are I’m not going to bake anything else out of pure worry of eating everything. So what I’m saying is make these donuts, eat them, then make them again, eat them, then make them again, eat them. It feels better that way.
Blueberry Lemon Glazed Muffin Top DonutsPrint
For the donuts
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup almond or regular milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- splash of almond or regular milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a donut pan with nonstick spray.
- In a bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together.
- In another bowl stir together milk, egg, vanilla, lemon juice and oil until combined.
- Add milk mixture to your flour mixture and stir until mixed well.
- Stir in blueberries lightly until they're evenly distributed.
- Spoon mixture into donut pans to the very top. Filling them up to the top will turn these into muffin top donuts. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned on sides.
- Remove from oven, cool.
For the glaze
- Put sugar, lemon juice and splash of milk in bowl and mix well (I use hand mixer).
- If glaze is too wet, add a tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken it up.
- Once donuts are cool, spread glaze on each donut muffin top.