Delicious Dairy Free Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies made with vegan butter and vegan chocolate chips!
Did you wake up recently and there was snow on the ground? If so, what do you do?
Do you grumble because you have to march outside and shovel right away? Do you grab a cup of tea and cat, sit near the window and admire the white wintry beauty? Do you throw on your boots and run out and play in the snow no matter what your age? I fall into the 2 last categories.
It’s funny, I always tell myself when it snows I will just throw on a coat and bundle up and not play in the snow, just admire it from a distance. After all, I don’t want to get wet and freeze. Then as soon as I step out into the snow and see the piled up drifts I turn into a 6 year old and suddenly here I am….
So after we came in from the snow and took off our boots (for the cats to sniff cautiously) then I made some hot chocolate (dairy free!) to get my fingers warm as some of them were a bit unable to move. After that I immediately needed cookies, I was craving them bad. So I got out the supplies and these Dairy Free Oatmeal Peanut Butter cookies were born. Snowy high 5’s all around.
A few notes:
These are dairy free! Dairy free baking is not as difficult as I feared, in fact it’s pretty darn delicious. Even Matthew who loves his butter and milk said these cookies were great. I’ve been experimenting alot and I made some dairy free chocolate donuts that I will post next week that will make you cry with happiness. Seriously. Tears and all.
This batch makes approximately 18 cookies.
For butter I use Earth Balance Buttery Organic spread.
The peanut butter and cinnamon really makes these cookies smell nice.
The cookies are moist but they have a nice crunch due to the oatmeal. I love having a cookie I can sink my teeth into.
I added chocolate chips, I used Sunspire Vegan Carbon Chips. In the past I have used these for dairy free chocolate fudge and they worked well, but in the future for any baking which involves melting or hot temperatures I probably wont use these chips as they melted pretty quickly. I found out later that all King David chocolate chips are dairy free and are sold at my kosher supermarket below my apartment building so I will be using them from now (they are so yummy, even eating them by the handful is a treat!).
Grab a cookie (or 2!). Enjoy!
The recipe has both dairy free or regular options. Pick whatever one works for you!
Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies (Dairy Free Option)Print
- 1/2 cup butter or vegan butter - melted
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 chocolate chips or vegan chocolate chips
- Cream together butter, white sugar, brown sugar and peanut butter.
- Add egg and vanilla, beating until mixed.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and continue to beat until mixed.
- Add oats and chocolate chips, stirring with spoon until equally distributed.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place rolled cookie dough balls on greased baking sheet. Place them 2 inches apart as they will expand. With a fork, press down on each cookie so they flatten out a bit.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool and enjoy.