Creamy green tomato soup, made with roasted green tomatoes, onions and garlic. Once baked, tomatoes are blended with vegetable broth and heavy cream making a velvety smooth fresh tomato soup. Save this recipe for your Summer garden!
Creamy Green Tomato Soup
This is my one of my favorite green tomato recipes. During the end of Summer, I love picking our green tomatoes and making a big pot of this green tomato soup. This tastes just like fresh roma tomato soup, but slightly more tart.
Sometimes my family likes it served with crusty Italian bread, sometimes I make green tomato cheese sandwiches to dip it in, sometimes I make it for myself to enjoy all week for lunch, and sometimes I make a couple extra batches to freeze for Winter!
Even though it’s made with unripe green tomatoes, when roasted with onions and garlic, and then blended with vegetable broth and heavy cream, a very creamy tomato soup is made, making you question why you ever doubted the beauty of a green tomato!
- green tomatoes – 3 pounds, cut them into quarters
- yellow onion – chopped
- minced garlic
- vegetable broth, could also use chicken broth if you’d like
- heavy cream, milk will also work but it won’t be as creamy
- basics: olive oil, salt and pepper
What kind of green tomatoes are best for tomato soup?
I recommend roma, beefsteak or heirloom green tomatoes to make the tastiest tomato soup, but in a pinch, any green tomato will work!
You can use completely green tomatoes, tomatoes starting to change, or you can use a variety of green and red tomatoes!
How to make Tomato Soup with Green Tomatoes
Spread quartered green tomatoes, onion and minced garlic in a 9×13 baking dish.
Drizzle with olive oil and mix it all together.
Bake until tomatoes soften up, about 30 minutes.
Add tomatoes, onions and garlic into the food processor. You might need to this in batches depending on food processor size (I always do).
Pulse until you have a tomato puree mixture.
Pour into a medium sized soup pot and heat up.
Add vegetable broth..
Add heavy cream…
And stir until a creamy thick tomato soup forms, about 10 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
Serve in bowls. We love it sprinkled with parmesan cheese on top! Enjoy!
Can I add greens?
Yes, you can add kale or spinach greens to this soup if you’d like. There’s 2 ways: to sneak them in, add the greens to the food processor, pulsing them with the tomatoes. Or add baby greens to the pot when you add in the broth and heavy creamy, stirring them until they’re wilted.
Freezing and Storing Leftovers
Store leftover tomato soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
To freeze it, place in freezer safe containers or freezer bags, for up to 6 months. Once ready to serve, defrost and then reheat on the stovetop or microwave.
Pin for later:
Roasted Green Tomato Soup (so creamy!)Print
- 3 pounds green tomatoes quartered
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt + pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spread tomatoes, onions and cloves of garlic in a 9×13 pan. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until tomatoes soften up and start bursting.
- Let tomatoes cool for a few minutes and then put tomatoes/onions/garlic in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pulse until pureed.
- Pour this green tomato mixture into a medium sized soup pot over medium heat.
- Add vegetable broth and heavy cream, stirring until a smooth tomato soup forms, about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve in bowls adding parmesan cheese or fresh basil on top. Enjoy!