Simple baked green tomatoes. All you do is roast them in the oven with olive oil and salt. This recipe is freezing and canning friendly, perfect for preserving an overabundance of green tomatoes.
Baked Green Tomatoes
When you think of baked green tomatoes, you probably think of crispy fried green tomatoes. But it’s about time this fresh alternative gets more love because these baked green tomatoes are so good and easy to make.
Inspired by my baked tomatillos, all you do is throw them whole in a baking dish, drizzle olive oil on top, add a pinch of salt, and bake until they look like they’re going to pop.
You can serve them simple next to grilled chicken, chop them up and add them to salads or salsas, make a taco marinade with them or just throw them in a mason jar in the refrigerator. You can even freeze them if you have lots of end of season green tomatoes (freezing instructions are at the bottom of the post).
- Green tomatoes (small to medium size work best)
- Olive Oil
How to Bake Green Tomatoes in the Oven
Arrange green tomatoes in a baking dish, either 8×8 or 9×13 depending on how many tomatoes you have.
Drizzle olive oil on top of tomatoes and stir so they’re coated.
Give a sprinkle of salt on each one.
Bake for around 50 minutes, flipping half way through. Time depends on the size of the tomato. These are medium size so they take around 50 minutes, but time will need to be adjusted if they are smaller or larger.
Serve immediately, store in the refrigerator or freeze for later on.
How to Serve
- As a side dish next to grilled chicken, steak or crockpot pork chops.
- Chop up and serve over steamed basmati or jasmine rice.
- Make roasted green tomato sauce with them by pulsing them in a food processor.
- Add them to chili or stews.
- Chop up and use in fresh tomato salsa or on tacos.
- My favorite way to use is to throw them in the food processor with 1/2 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth). Then add the mixture to a skillet, add cooked shredded chicken breast and cook for a few minutes. Now serve this on tortillas and enjoy green tomato tacos!
How to Freeze Whole Green Tomatoes
Allow tomatoes to cool down and then add in freezer safe container or freezer bags. Place in freezer and freeze for up to 6 months. Defrost as you need them.
Pin for later:
Baked Green TomatoesPrint
- Green tomatoes medium size is best
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange green tomatoes in a pan, either 8×8 or 9×13 depending on how many tomatoes you have.
- Drizzle olive oil on top of tomatoes and stir so they’re coated with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 50 minutes, flipping half way through. Cook until tomato skins looks shriveled up, almost like the tomatoes popped. Time depends on the size of the tomatoes so more or time will be needed if they aren’t medium size.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for a few days. Alternatively, you can place these in freezer bags and freeze them.