Crustless Broccoli Cheese Quiche is a easy dinner recipe your family is going to love. Instead of the traditional pie crust, you use kale to line the bottom of the casserole dish. Sprinkled mozzarella cheese on top makes it extremely cheesy! It’s the perfect way to sneak in veggies!
“This is one of the best meals you ever made” said my husband Matthew eating this quiche while eyeing up the last piece in the casserole dish. I thought I’d post this first because if my meat loving husband can fall in love with this Broccoli Quiche made on top of kale leaves, then I think that’s the only review I need!
This quiche is filled with broccoli and kale. The broccoli is the main contents of the quiche while the kale acts as the pie crust. I was really craving a quiche but I didn’t have any pie crust and I wasn’t in the mood to make a homemade one so the sudden idea of using kale leaves to lie in the bottom of the casserole dish as a crust popped into my mind. I have to say this might be one of my most genius kitchen ideas to date because it worked beautifully. The kale turns a bit crusty while holding in all the contents of the quiche. I was worried that the wet ingredients would fall through the kale leaves but this quiche is not wet or soggy at all. The eggs bake perfectly. The cheese melts perfectly. When cutting it into slices it all holds together perfectly just like if you used a pie crust, but you didn’t and you saved yourself some calories.
Remove stems from kale and rip leaves as large as you can. Cover the bottom and sides of the casserole dish completely with kale leaves. Make sure there are no holes showing and that kale covers completely.
- Approximately 6 kale leaves - stem removed - torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups fresh broccoli - chopped
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Take your torn pieces of kale and line your casserole dish. Make sure to completely cover the bottom and sides of the dish.
- Over medium heat melt your butter in saucepan. Add garlic and broccoli, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until broccoli is a bright green.
- Add your broccoli mixture on top of the kale in casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of broccoli.
- In a small bowl beat your eggs. Add milk, salt and pepper and stir.
- Add your egg mixture on top of the cheese in the broccoli dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes.