I love tortilla soup – love, love love.
I used to get tortilla soup all the time from a local Mexican restaurant but one day I got some near closing time and it was a big disappointment It was like they gave me the entire bottom of the pot that was sitting all day long with every ingredient soggy. I was very upset. That night I told myself I would match their tortilla soup with my own. I would set up a table outside their restaurant serving small cups of my own soup and compare it theirs. The neighborhood would love mine. They would put me on their shoulders, parading me down the streets while chanting “tortilla soup, tortilla soup!”. Well one of those things came true, I came up with a tortilla soup recipe that (dare I say) is better than theirs. *High Fives*
This soup is delicious. It’s easy to make with a few canned goods. It doesn’t take much time, minus some simmering here and there. Please give this soup a chance.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 10 oz chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 15 oz can of white hominy
- 1 15 oz can of black beans rinsed/drained
- 1 4 oz can of chopped green chile peppers
- 1 cup yellow corn kernels cooked
- 2 cubes frozen cilantro or 1/4 cup chopped fresh
Optional for on top
- Sliced Avocado
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Crushed Tortilla Chips
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Saute in minced garlic until slightly brown.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, water, chili powder and oregano. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in hominy, black beans, corn, chile peppers and cilantro. Stir well.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve into bowls, serve with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices and shredded cheese on
Then your chicken broth. I showed the steps above because I usually always make my chicken broth from bouillon cubes. I find it much cheaper and just as good.