Easy Stuffed Pepper Casserole made with green peppers, ground beef, diced tomatoes and rice smothered in mozzarella cheese. These “unstuffed” peppers are baked in the oven for a classic dinner recipe.
The Best Stuffed Pepper Casserole Recipe
This Stuffed Pepper Casserole recipe is based on my Mom’s famous peppers! Growing up one of my Mother’s favorite meals to make was stuffed peppers. Whenever I go back to visit my Dad I always ask him to think of a meal or two he wants me to make and he always requests Mom’s Stuffed Peppers.
What isn’t there to love about stuffed peppers? Fresh peppers, meat, tomato sauce, rice – all smothered in melted mozzarella cheese? Yes, please!
How to Make Recipe Video
Here’s a video I made to show you just how quick and easy this recipe is to make!
- ground beef
- minced garlic
- chopped onion
- green peppers
- diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- beef broth
- white rice
- Worcestershire sauce
- mozzarella cheese
Directions to Make Stuffed Pepper Casserole
Brown your ground beef, along with 2 cloves of garlic and onion in a large frying pan until beef is browned.
Add the ground beef mixture into a baking dish. Both 11×8 and 9×9 size baking dishes work well for this recipe.
Add chopped green peppers, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, uncooked long grain rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper on top of the beef.
Want to add some sneaky vegetables? This is completely optional, but if you want to you can add 1/2 cup chopped spinach too. This is a simple way to add some additional veggies!
Mix to fully combine the casserole.
Bake for 75 minutes, or until the rice is soft. Depending on the brand and variety of rice you use, sometimes you need 10-20 minutes more, so make sure to test it.
Remove from oven, sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top and bake 5 more minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Serve and enjoy this Stuffed Pepper Casserole!
How to Make It More Healthy
Overall, this Stuffed Pepper Casserole is a pretty healthy meal at 380 calories per serving. Here’s some more ways to make it even more healthy:
- Substitute cauliflower rice if you’re worried about the carbs from regular rice.
- Add more vegetables if you’d like, like chopped spinach, kale or even some diced carrots!
- Swap the ground beef for ground turkey or ground chicken instead.
- Skip the cheese at the end, or only use 1/2 cup.
Can I freeze stuffed pepper casserole?
Yes you can freeze stuffed pepper casserole! This makes such a great freezer meal! In fact, when our 3rd baby arrived, we had a couple of these casseroles ready to go in the freezer for us!
First bake the casserole as instructed, skipping the cheese on top. After it’s cooked, allow to cool and then wrap in aluminum foil and place in freezer.
When ready to eat, remove from the freezer and bake at 350 degrees F for about 60 minutes, covered with aluminum foil. You might need to add a few extra minutes after you check the middle. Remove the foil, add the shredded mozzarella cheese and bake 5 more minutes.
Other Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
- Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Quesadilla Casserole
- Baked Spaghetti Casserole
- Polish Cabbage Rolls
- Scrambled Egg Ground Beef Casserole
- Easy Shepherd’s Pie
- Taco Casserole With Ground Beef
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Casserole
Pin for later:
Stuffed Pepper CasserolePrint
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 large green peppers chopped
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup long grain rice uncooked
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a frying pan, add ground beef, minced garlic and onion and cook until beef is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the beef mixture into a 11×8 baking dish.
- Add chopped green peppers, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, uncooked long grain rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper on top of the beef. Mix to fully combine.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 75 minutes, or until rice is soft.
- Take out of the oven, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and bake 5 more minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Check out my Stuffed Peppers Casserole web story!