Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe – tastes just like Campbell’s!
How many times have you tried to make a recipe and it calls for Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup so you go into your cabinet and realize you have zero cans? Don’t let this happen to you anymore!
This scenario has happened to me so many times in life. Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup is something I use often in soups and casseroles but somehow I always manage to forget to buy a can. If you have some mushrooms on hand, then I bet you have the rest of the ingredients as well to make your own!
I have to say as well that not only is this easy to make (we’re talking 10 minutes) but it tastes a million times better then the canned version. There’s something about the fresh mushrooms in this that makes me weak in the knees, but if you don’t have fresh on hand feel free to used canned mushrooms instead. Also I made this with regular milk and unsweetened vanilla almond milk for a vegan recipe and both turned out great!
Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup regular milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of sugar
- 1 cup of mushrooms sliced (fresh or canned)
- Put all your ingredients except mushrooms in a food processor and pulse until it's smooth.
- Add your mushrooms to food processor and pulse a couple times to chop them up.
- Pour mushroom mixture into a saucepan on the stove.
- Bring to a boil then lower the heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
If you find it's too thin, add a bit of extra cornstarch and stir. This will thicken it up.