This healthy ham and cabbage soup is a mix of carrots, celery, bell pepper, onion, cabbage and ham, all simmered together in a savory broth. A quick and easy comforting meal that’s full of flavor!
When I’m looking for an easy, cozy recipe idea, I turn to veggie loaded soups like cauliflower soup, chicken vegetable soup, slow cooker sweet potato soup and this simple yet satisfying ham and cabbage soup.
There’s nothing better than a hearty soup loaded with veggies, and this Polish ham and cabbage soup is always a great bet. It’s satisfying, packed with nutrition and is ready in about 45 minutes. It’s just like the one Grandma makes! Ham and cabbage soup is the perfect lunch or dinner for when you’re wanting something hearty and comforting.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU PUT IN A HAM AND CABBAGE SOUP?
The beauty of this soup is you can really customize it to fit whatever vegetables and protein you already have in the fridge. See suggestions at the end of the post. Here is a list of the ingredients that I typically use when I’m cooking it up.
- Green Bell Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Salt & White Pepper (or black)
HOW DO YOU MAKE HAM AND CABBAGE SOUP?
This soup starts with green pepper, onion, celery and carrots which are sautéed in a little butter in a large pot. I really think the butter adds richness to the soup and is worth the calories. That being said, if you’re looking to make this soup as low-calorie as possible, you can skip the butter and simply simmer everything in the broth. Alternatively, you can sauté the veggies using nonstick cooking spray.
Once the veggies are soft, add flour into pot, stirring to coat the vegetables.
Then, add chicken broth and cook on medium-high until boiling.
Now, add cabbage, ham, salt and pepper. Stir until boiling and then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
I recommend using white pepper for your soup. I just feel that it makes for a prettier soup. Feel free to use black pepper, if that’s what you have on hand.
TIPS FOR HAM AND CABBAGE SOUP
- Cut all of the vegetables into similar sizes, so that they cook at the same rate. I prefer to have my veggies in large chunks for a heartier soup.
- I typically make this soup with chicken broth, but you can also make it with vegetable broth or beef broth.
- This soup keeps in the refrigerator for up to 4 days which makes it perfect for meal prep.
HAM AND CABBAGE SOUP VARIATIONS
My family absolutely loves this soup as is, but you can add other ingredients, depending on your taste preferences or what you already have in the fridge.
- Protein: Try this soup with shredded chicken, smoked sausage, ground turkey or extra lean ground beef.
- Starches: Add some potatoes, pasta, beans, brown rice or quinoa to the soup.
- Vegetables: You can use your favorite veggies for this soup, some great options include zucchini, butternut squash, broccoli, mushrooms, leeks and spinach.
IS HAM AND CABBAGE SOUP HEALTHY?
Ham and cabbage soup is a great way to get in your veggies and also happens to be a lower-calorie soup. Any broth based vegetable soup would be a nice choice, if you’re trying to eat healthier. Steer clear of soups that contain higher calorie ingredients such as cream, cream cheese, pasta, bacon and cheese.
SLOW COOKER HAM AND CABBAGE SOUP
This recipe can easily be adapted for use in the slow cooker. Place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 2-4 hours or high for 1-2 hours. Serve with crusty bread and/or a side salad.
I eat this soup all the time, it’s the absolute best way to get a hefty dose of veggies into your day and it also happens to taste great! Make a batch today and enjoy it all week long for a healthy boost.
MORE GREAT SOUP RECIPES
Did you make and love this recipe? Give it your review below! 👇 And make sure to share your creations by tagging me or using the hashtag #brooklynfarmgirl on Instagram!
Pin for later:
Ham and Cabbage SoupPrint
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cabbage shredded
- 2 cups chopped ham cooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper or you can use black pepper
- Add butter to large soup pot. Add green pepper, onion, celery and carrots and saute until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add flour into pot, stirring to coat the vegetables.
- Add chicken broth and cook on medium high until boiling.
- Add cabbage, ham, salt and pepper. Stir until boiling and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve in bowls.