This Cheesy Skillet Lasagna is made in one pan on the stove. It makes for a simple and easy weeknight meal that still has the same great flavors of a classic baked lasagna, but takes just 35 minutes from start to finish!
Cast iron skillet lasagna recipe
Lasagna has always been one of my family’s favorite meals because it’s just so comforting, cheesy, and delicious. On nights when we don’t feel like spending the time or energy putting a classic lasagna together, I turn to this Cheesy Skillet Lasagna instead!
Made completely on the stove in a skillet, this easy lasagna recipe still has everything you love about the classic. It just takes way less time to make and there’s no layering involved! Every scoop is packed with noodles, cheese, Italian sausage, and a handful of veggies so your comfort food cravings can still be satisfied.
Did I mention how flexible it is? You can customize your skillet lasagna any way you like. For example, I added mushrooms and replaced the beef with Italian sausage. Feel free to get creative and make it just the way your family likes!
Skillet lasagna ingredients
This one-pan lasagna has everything you love about a classic lasagna but is so much easier to make. Here’s what you need:
- Lasagna noodles
- Ground Italian sausage
- Green pepper
- Ricotta cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Pasta sauce (storebought or homemade)
- Fresh basil
How to make a cheesy skillet lasagna
This lasagna recipe is made completely on the stove so you don’t need a cast iron or oven-safe pan to get it done! It’s so easy to make:
Break the lasagna noodles in half and cook according to the package instructions.
Brown the ground sausage in a large skillet along with the garlic.
Add the cooked noodles, pasta sauce, ricotta cheese, some of the mozzarella, mushrooms and Italian seasoning into the skillet. Stir and cook until the cheese melts.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top, cover with a lid, and cook until it melts.
Serve, adding fresh basil on top of each piece (optional!) and enjoy!
Just like a traditional lasagna recipe, the ingredients and add-ins in this recipe are very flexible:
- Noodles – While I prefer to make this with traditional lasagna noodles, you can use any long or short pasta noodle instead.
- Sauce – Make this with marinara, roma tomato sauce, or cherry tomato sauce for classic flavors. You could also add a little spice with this spicy tomato sauce or even stir in some bechamel sauce.
- Meat – Swap the Italian sausage for ground meat, chicken, or turkey, or omit the meat altogether to keep this lasagna vegetarian.
- Vegetables – Use any veggies you like. It’s a great clean-out-the-fridge recipe!
- Toppings – Sprinkle parmesan cheese, more mozzarella, and parsley on top for additional flavors.
This easy family dinner is complete with a side of Italian bread or garlic knots and a fresh kale salad. It’s a filling recipe as-is so try to keep the side dishes light.
This recipe makes enough for the whole family (about 6 servings) but it can also be used for meal prep. Store the cooked lasagna in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. When it’s time to eat, simply reheat the leftovers in the microwave and enjoy!
To freeze, place the cooked and cooled lasagna in an airtight container and freeze for about 2 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight then reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
More easy one-pot dinners to try
- Pasta and Peas (Pasta E Piselli)
- Instant Pot Cherry Tomato Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Healthy Potato Soup
- One Pan Taco Casserole
Pin for later:
Cheesy Skillet LasagnaPrint
- 12 lasagna noodles broken in half
- 1 pound ground sweet Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 24 oz jar pasta sauce (pick your favorite)
- 1 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- handful of fresh basil (optional)
- Break lasagna noodles in half and cook them as instructed on box. Drain noodles and set aside.
- While lasagna is cooking, brown ground Italian Sausage in a large skillet with garlic over medium high heat.
- Add cooked lasagna, pasta sauce, ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, mushrooms and Italian easoning into skillet with sausage. Stir and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until cheeses are melted.
- Pour remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese on top, cover and cook for about 5 -10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve on plates. Add fresh basil on top of each serving (optional).
Leave a Comment