EASY Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili is packed full of pumpkin, ground turkey, beans, vegetables and Mexican spices. This healthy, hearty chili is perfect for chilly fall and winter nights. Serve this pumpkin chili with cornbread or tortilla chips and your favorite toppings. And be sure to keep this recipe in mind for a football watch party, game night, or office potluck!
In this Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili recipe we have the usual chili ingredients, but then we’re adding in pumpkin! Pumpkin works so well in chili recipes because it adds a wonderful creaminess and a very subtle sweet, earthy undertone that takes this recipe to a whole new level of delicious. As an added plus, pumpkin is full of a wide variety of nutrients and is an excellent source of Vitamin A and C. It’s an amazing way to make your dinner or pumpkin brownies more healthy and better for you. Who doesn’t want that?
Now I know what you might be thinking… “Mexican” and “Pumpkin” don’t usually go together, but in this recipe they combine beautifully for an absolutely wonderful flavor.
You’re going to love this pumpkin chili! It’s one of our favorite Fall Slow Cooker Meals!
Ingredients in Pumpkin Chili
I love beans in my chili, so I decided to add both black beans and kidney beans. Also, I love using ground turkey for chili as a healthy alternative to ground beef.
So what makes this chili Mexican? Well, we’re going to spice it up with green chiles, salsa verde, cumin and we’re adding in corn! For serving this chili, I love to top it with avocado, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and fresh cilantro!
How To Make Pumpkin Chili
This pumpkin chili recipe is so easy to make and only takes 5 hours in your slow cooker! First, you’ll want to brown the ground turkey in a skillet with the peppers before throwing it in the crockpot. The turkey needs to be cooked before it goes into the slow cooker so that it won’t all stick together in one big clump. The rest of the ingredients including beans, garlic, pumpkin, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, corn, green chilies, salsa verde and spices go into the pot, then it’s time to let everything simmer away!
Tips for Slow Cooker Chili
- I use lean ground turkey. It’s got plenty of flavor without all the extra grease.
- I pre-measure my spices the night before, which makes prep time go a lot quicker when I’m trying to get everything in the slow cooker in the morning.
- This recipe makes great leftovers and meal prep. It can be stored in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to three months.
- You can use pumpkin from a can or you can easily make your own pumpkin purée for this recipe. Simply, follow my easy step-by-step “how to make pumpkin purée” guide.
- Serve your chili with plenty of toppings such as grated cheese, sour cream, onions, tomatoes, avocado, fresh cilantro or even bacon crumbles.
Pumpkin Chili Variations
While this is a super tasty version of pumpkin chili, there are many ways to customize it to your preferences.
- If you don’t want to wait for your chili to cook in the crock pot, you can make this recipe on the stove instead. Simply brown the meat and green peppers, then add the rest of the ingredients to a large pot and simmer over low heat for one hour.
- Use any variety of beans that you want. You can even make this chili beanless.
- This chili will work great with any type of ground meat you prefer. Chicken, beef or bison are all great choices.
What To Serve With Chili
Cornbread is the classic side dish for chili, and my jalapeño cornbread recipe is the best of the best! Because this chili has zesty Mexican flavors, tortilla chips or strips or even fritos are other great options. This chili is also great served over a baked potato, on a hot dog, or poured over french fries. There are so many different ways to enjoy chili and you just can’t go wrong!
Looking for more pumpkin recipes?
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Healthy Pumpkin Cookies
Jalapeno Mac and Cheese with Pumpkin Sauce
Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
Did you make and love this recipe? Give it your review below! 👇 And make sure to share your creations by tagging me or using the hashtag #brooklynfarmgirl on Instagram!
Slow Cooker Pumpkin ChiliPrint
- 2 green bell peppers chopped
- 1 15 oz can can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a skillet, add your chopped peppers, minced garlic and ground turkey. Cook until turkey is browned.
- Put your ground turkey mixture into a slow cooker. Add all the other ingredients and stir so everything is fully mixed up.
- Cook on low for 5 hours. Serve and sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream on top (optional).
Leave a Comment