This baked spaghetti casserole cooks in a 9×13 baking dish and is a beyond-easy twist on a classic bowl of spaghetti! The pasta bake layers cooked spaghetti noodles, with a ground beef meat sauce, velvety ricotta cheese and melted mozzarella. It’s an easy fuss-free pasta dinner for busy weeknights, or a simple dish for feeding a large crowd. Plus, the leftovers reheat beautifully!
Why You’ll Love Baked Spaghetti Casserole
Need a easy casserole dinner idea? Then you need to try this Baked Spaghetti Casserole! My family loves this pasta bake with ground beef – and what’s not to love about it? Filled with zesty ground beef, cooked spaghetti, and cheesy goodness (ricotta and mozzarella!), this pasta casserole has everything you need for a delicious meal.
Give your family a break from boring classic spaghetti and serve them this spaghetti casserole recipe instead! It’s the perfect weeknight dinner!
What’s in Baked Spaghetti Casserole?
- Spaghetti noodles
- Ground beef (or Italian sausage)
- Onion, chopped
- Green bell pepper, chopped
- Cloves garlic, minced
- Spaghetti sauce (you can also use homemade spaghetti sauce if you’d like – great with your garden tomatoes!)
- Salt & pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- Butter, melted
- Ricotta cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
Instructions for Spaghetti Casserole with Ricotta
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Next, cook spaghetti according to the package directions. Once the noodles are done, drain and set aside.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground beef, onion, green pepper, and minced garlic, and cook until the meat is browned.
Then, add spaghetti sauce, salt, and pepper into the skillet and stir until fully combined.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, parmesan, and melted butter together. Add cooked spaghetti and toss until the noodles are fully coated with the egg mixture.
Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place ½ of the spaghetti mixture into the bottom of the baking dish.
Add ricotta cheese on top, spreading it out evenly.
Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
Add ½ of the meat sauce on top.
Repeat the layer one more time.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake. Remove foil and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for a couple more minutes or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Serve and enjoy this delicious spaghetti pasta bake!
What else can I use besides ricotta cheese?
You can use cottage cheese or sour cream instead of ricotta cheese for this recipe. Once the sour cream is cooked, it takes on a very similar texture to ricotta cheese.
Can I use Italian Sausage instead of ground beef?
Absolutely, you can swap ground Italian Sausage instead of lean ground beef. You can even use ground turkey or chicken if you prefer!
Should I cover the pasta bake in the oven?
Yes, for most of the time in the oven, your casserole should be covered. This will trap the heat and moisture, allowing your casserole to cook evenly and not dry out. However, for the last 15 minutes, you can uncover it and add the remaining cheese. This is how you achieve the lightly browned melty cheese on top of your spaghetti bake!
How to Store Leftovers
If you find yourself with some leftovers, you can store and place them in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for up to 5 days! We love to enjoy our leftovers for lunch the next day or for dinner again!
To reheat, heat up in the microwave for 1 minute, or cover with foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees until fully warm in the middle.
Pin for later:
Baked Spaghetti Casserole with Ground Beef & RicottaPrint
- 1 16 ounce package spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 32 ounce jar spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook spaghetti according to the box. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add ground beef, onion, green pepper and minced garlic and cook until the meat is browned. Drain excess fat from the pan and return back to the burner over low heat.
- Add spaghetti sauce, salt and pepper into the skillet and stir to fully combine.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs, Parmesan and melted butter together. Add in cooked spaghetti and toss to fully coat with egg mixture.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Place ½ of the spaghetti mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Add 1 cup of ricotta cheese on top, spreading it out. Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese on top. Add ½ of the meat sauce on top. Repeat the layer one more time.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle the last 1 cup of remaining mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for 15 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Serve and enjoy!