One of my fondest memories as a kid was Pizza Hut.
Remember Pizza Hut’s BOOK IT program where they talked students into reading as a activity in return for free pizza? If there’s one way to get kids into reading, it’s pizza. I’m totally serious. When I found out the more reading I did meant more pizza, I turned into a library monster. One of my life achievements is winning my city’s Winter Reading Contest. I received a picture in the newspaper with my gold medal in one hand, a book in another. Sounds pretty cool, right? Well it was because it meant pizza!
My parents would sometimes surprise me while I was in middle school by picking me up when school was over and taking me to Pizza Hut for dinner on Fridays. I was pretty pumped because this meant pizza and their bread sticks which I loved. Also, total highlight but one time they picked me up and surprised me with a black velvet hat with a red plaid flower on it, just like my hero Blossom wore.
Wasn’t she just the coolest?
So back to bread sticks. We are big pizza eaters in this house and always love a few bread sticks on the side to dip in additional marinara sauce. Buying frozen bread sticks is quick, but one night I was craving home made bread sticks so I made these. If you have any left over (good luck) they are equally delicious the following day.
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tablespoon instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- garlic salt for sprinkling on top
- Lightly grease parchment paper with non stick spray on a 11x7 baking sheet.
- Combine all ingredients together with a hand mixer at high speed for 60 seconds.
- Scoop the sticky batter onto your baking sheet, spreading it nearly to the edges.
- Use a pizza wheel or knife to score the dough into 6 1" wide strips.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drizzle bread sticks with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. As soon as you can touch them, cut the dough along the score lines with scissors.
- Place bread sticks on their side edges on the pan now and return back to the oven for 10 minutes.