The time is close… who else is getting excited wrapping presents and smelling pine when they walk in the door?
Who else is sad that no matter how hard you try, your cats will never love the idea of dressing up for Christmas?
Every year I try… every year I fail.
One of these days I’ll get them in a costume.. maybe while the’re sleeping!
I am a donut (or doughnut if you must) lover. As a kid my mom worked at the donut shop and she would always bring me home my favorite blueberry donut. At Halloween she’d bring me home little festive munchkins that were decorated like Frankenstein and pumpkins. Sometimes before school for breakfast on a busy day, I’d run into the gas station and buy a donut. So what I’m saying is that the donut love has been strong for a long time.
I’ve been craving a good homemade donut but wanted to make them fun for the holidays, so I decided to do a #CandyCaneHacks donut recipe. Say hello to Chocolate Donuts with Peanut Butter Candy Cane Frosting.
I used Dark Chocolate Dreams from Peanut Butter & Co for the peanut butter frosting. The frosting is ridiculously good. So much that after I made it, I ate way too many spoonfuls and then worked out 30 minutes later because of pure guilt. It was worth it though, that frosting can’t be beat. Because I love you and want you to get your frosting on, use coupon code YUMSQUADLOVE to get 25% off your entire order at Peanut Butter & Co this December. What a stocking stuffer that would be….
The frosting is magical. I’m serious guys. It casts a delicious spell on you when you can’t do anything but eat it. I went back at least 6 times and took a spoonful of this. It’s so fluffy and has the perfect peanut butter taste to it.
You’ll want to crush up your candy cane until it’s almost powder like. I like when it gets that consistency where is’t not too big you’re going to feel a crunch, instead it’s just like peppermint sugar on top.
I know I’ve already told you I eat M&M cookies in bed, but I also want to tell you I ate a donut in bed a few nights ago. Again, I started with a half, and then went back, grabbed the other half and crawled back into bed. I just remember falling back asleep with sweet sugary dreams!
Enjoy these donuts friends!
- 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate peanut butter
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 Candy Cane - crushed up
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your donut pan with nonstick spray.
- Stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add oil, vanilla and water and continue to stir until smooth.
- Pour into donut pan and bake 10-12 minutes. Let donuts cool.
- Use softened butter and mix with peanut butter (I use a hand mixer).
- Slowly add in confectioners sugar and milk. Continue to mix until frosting is fluffy.
- Spread frosting on donuts. Sprinkle crushed up candy cane on each one.
- Makes 6 donuts.