Mini Sugar Free Apple Muffins made with simple, non-fancy ingredients that everyone has in their kitchen! Recipe makes 20 mini muffins.
I am taking a break from sugar right now and I have to tell you, it’s hard. Everything has sugar in it! Or if you go to the grocery store and read the labels, it seems like nearly everything does, even food that you wouldn’t have guessed. English muffins? Sugar. Those delicious “natural” raspberry preserves? So much sugar! Multigrain bread? Sugar. Spaghetti Sauce? Sugar (make your own!). Granola and Crackers? Sugar. It’s crazy and pretty depressing.
It’s nearly impossible to find a sugar free baked good in the grocery store so I started making my own with simple ingredients. When I started researching sugar free recipes I was kind of put off by the complex, expensive ingredients that so many people were using. If you are just starting to go sugar free you probably don’t want to break the bank buying these ingredients because you aren’t sure if it’s going to work out or not. So I made these muffins with ingredients that you probably have already in your kitchen.
There is no sugar in these muffins – none! To keep them tasty we are using Unsweetened Coconut/Vanilla milk as well as Sugar Free Blueberry Jam. These are much healthier substitutes for sugar, honey and butter.
For this recipe you’ll need one small apple cut up, preferably a tart apple, but use your favorite. I picked some apples on the land this past weekend when I found a few apple trees that I didn’t know existed. The land is always giving us new surprises, pretty cool, right?
The batter for these muffins due to the blueberry jam is a shade of red/purple making beautiful muffins once baked. I love using my mini muffin pan for these!
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (you can use all purpose if you want)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar free blueberry jam (I recommend Smucker's Sugar Free Blueberry Preserves)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (I recommend Unsweetened Vanilla or Unsweetened Vanilla/Coconut)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup apples - peeled and chopped (this equals one small apple)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray mini muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Make a well in the middle of the bowl and add jam, milk, egg and vanilla. Mix with a fork until all ingredients are combined.
- Add apples and stir gently.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan evenly.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, until the sides of your muffins are slightly golden brown.
- This makes 20 mini muffins or 6 regular size muffins.
- If you are making regular size muffins, bake for 20-22 minutes.