This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CerealAnytime #CollectiveBias
You’ll never buy store bought granola bars again once you make these Rainbow Crunch Chocolate Chip Granola Cereal Bars! They’re easy to make and you only need a few basic ingredients. They’re perfect for afternoon snacks for kids or adults!
We live in a granola bar loving household. If you open up the cabinet you’ll see boxes of them, all bought in bulk, because it’s a bad day if you run out of granola bars. One thing I don’t like though is the prices of granola bars. For a pack of 8, it’s usually $5, and those granola bars are tiny. Loving to make my own food if at all possible, and love to save money, I decided to start making my own granola bars. It’s easy, and I bet you have all the ingredients already in your pantry! Plus you can easily customize them to include ingredients that you like. You get to pick the cereal, if you want chocolate chips or not (of course), throw in the option of dried berries or nuts or whatever else you want.
These Rainbow Crunch Chocolate Chip Granola Bars are delicious. So delicious that after I made a batch earlier this week I’m already being asked to make another. We eat these bars for quick breakfast on the go, but also afternoon snacks. They’re a good snack that fills you up between lunch and dinner. For my bars I used Berry Colossal Crunch cereal to add crunch, but also to add color. The bright colored pieces of cereal give these granola bars a rainbow effect which is perfect for kids, but is also great for adults who have a inner kid in them and always picks the rainbow cereal at the kitchen table.
If you want to forego the rainbows and keep the bars more simple I suggest substituting the Berry Colossal Crunch with something like Honey Bunches of Oats Crunch O’s. The almond variety of Crunch O’s is my favorite. If you want to go the chocolate route then check out Kung Fu Panda Po Power Crunch (new product at Walmart). Post has lots of different types of cereal to choose from so it’s easy to make everyone in the family happy.
Now watch how easy it is to make your own granola bars at home!
I like to wait at least 2 hours until I cut into them. Then cut the bars however you want. We usually do traditional granola bar shapes but you can also cut them into small squares for more “granola bites” size.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cup Berry Colossal Crunch cereal
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Spray a 8x8 pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Mix your oats and cereal together in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan melt butter, brown sugar, honey and vanilla on medium high heat until melted. Once it begins to bubble change heat to low and stir for 2 minutes.
- Pour your hot mixture over your oats/cereal mixture. Stir well. You want to make sure every single piece of oats and cereal is coated.
- Pour your mixture into your greased pan and push down with spatula to flatten it.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over top evenly. Use your spatula to press them down so they are embedded in the bars.
- Cover with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator to set for 2 hours.
- Take out and cut into bar sizes.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator to keep them fresh.
- If you don't want rainbow bars, Honey Bunches of Oats is a great cereal to use instead of Berry Colossal Crunch.