These Avocado Sailboats Filled With Mexican Corn Salad is a fun recipe that is perfect for parties!
Avocado, you beautiful thing. Want to know a surprising fact? I had my first avocado in my 20’s. As a kid we would never have them in the house and I never tasted guacamole. Then I slowly started to eat them as a sliced topping on my favorite tortilla soup. Now today, I’m licking clean (TMI?) the guacamole bowl. So yeah, I love you avocado, I’m sorry it took me so long to realize this.
With Thanksgiving and Christmas around the corner I’m starting to think about parties. I love a good potluck where all your friends gather together and bring all types of food to enjoy. So I got to thinking about avocados…what could I do besides the usual guacamole? And what I could do fun with them? Then one afternoon it hit me, Avocado Sailboats! And even better they’re filled with my favorite Mexican Corn Salad.
These are simple to make. You can easily make a few dozen of these Avocado Sailboats in less than 15 minutes. I love that they’re full of fresh ingredients unlike some other fried finger foods that might make its way to the table. I hope you give these a try!
You’ll need 12 avocados which will make 24 sailboats. If you want to scale it up or down, then do the math accordingly. Or you can just follow the recipe exactly and if you have leftover salsa eat it with a spoon, it’s that good.
You’ll want some delicious avocados to start with.
Now we’ll grab our delicious Mexican Corn Salad!
Once they’re all filled up with the salsa we’re going to add their sails to them. Grab a few toothpicks and cut out triangular sails for each. For the colors, have fun. Maybe you’re doing festive green and red for the holidays, or maybe you want it rainbow bright! Stick each toothpick to the paper and then insert into the avocado.
Have fun and let me know if they’re a hit at your next party. I just hope you invite me. 🙂
- 12 avocados
- 1 can black beans - rinsed and drained
- 16 oz bag of frozen corn - cooked
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 green pepper - chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno - finely diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Take avocados, cut in half long ways and remove the pits.
- Take 1-2 tablespoons out of each of the avocados so you can fill them with corn salad. Keep this leftover avocado to the side.
- Time to make the salad! Mix all ingredients besides avocados together in large bowl.
- Put spoonfuls of corn salad in each avocado.
- Place slices of leftover avocado on top.
- Add a cute paper sail on top with toothpick.
- Sail away and enjoy.