Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe. A authentic tortilla soup recipe made with chicken, crushed tomatoes, hominy, black beans, corn and more!
I love tortilla soup – love, love love.
I used to get tortilla soup all the time from a local Mexican restaurant but one day I got some near closing time and it was a big disappointment It was like they gave me the entire bottom of the pot that was sitting all day long with every ingredient soggy. I was very upset. That night I told myself I would match their tortilla soup with my own. I would set up a table outside their restaurant serving small cups of my own soup and compare it to theirs. The neighborhood would love mine. They would put me on their shoulders, parading me down the streets while chanting “tortilla soup, tortilla soup!”. Well one of those things came true, I came up with a tortilla soup recipe that (dare I say) is better than theirs. *High Fives*
You want to use quality crushed tomatoes in this recipe. Since the base is tomatoes, it’s important you get it right. I recommend using San Marzano crushed tomatoes. They are usually on the pricier side for crushed tomatoes, but they’re well worth it. I could just eat these tomatoes out of the can.
I used to not be familiar with hominy but since I found it was the secret ingredient in tortilla soup I’m obsessed. Hominy is made from whole corn kernels and is often used in grits and making masa flour (ground). But for this soup we’re using them whole! It’s also great in thick salsas and chili recipes too. I can eat this with a spoon too, which I totally admit to doing.
Chopped green chilies are a key ingredient to adding a little bit of spice to this soup. If you can only find the whole ones in your supermarket, that’s totally ok. Just chop them up before throwing them in the soup. Also, I never drain these. The juice is great in the soup too!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 10 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound cooked boneless chicken breast - cut into bite size pieces
- 1 15 oz can of white hominy
- 1 15 oz can of black beans (rinsed/drained)
- 1 cup yellow corn kernels (cooked)
- 1 4 oz can of chopped green chilies
- 3 cubes frozen cilantro (or 1/2 cup chopped fresh)
- Sliced Avocado
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Crushed Tortilla Chips
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Saute in minced garlic until slightly brown.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, water, chili powder and oregano. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, hominy, black beans, corn, chopped green chilies and cilantro. Stir well.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve into bowls, serve with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices and shredded cheese on
- Servings: 6-8