Slow Cooked Tomatillo Salsa Roja Chicken Tacos is a delicious authentic Mexican recipe made in your slow cooker. These are so easy to make and perfect for feeding a crowd!
Oh you slow cooked tacos with tomatillo salsa roja.
How many ways do I love you? Many.
I made these last week. We already had them twice. They are already being requested a 3rd time. They are out of this world tasty.
What makes them that special? They are slow cooked, they are made with fresh ingredients and they have that authentic taste. Yeah, they are really good.
For this recipe it’s full of fresh ingredients, down to the salsa which is made from just picked tomatillos, so let’s get started!
The salsa is a mixture of salsa verde + red mexican sauce. For the salsa verde I use my favorite recipe (found here) but I cut it in half. If you can’t make it homemade, just buy a jar of it.
To give it a little bit of a extra kick I like to add green pickled jalapeno peppers to the slow cooker. Once slow cooked the pickled flavor isn’t strong, but instead it’s more about the spice of the jalapenos.
When it’s almost ready for dinner time, start preparing your toppings and shells. I like to use tostadas. Tostadas are basically a flat taco shell. They are made with corn and extra crunchy. I can usually find a bag of 25 at the bodega for less than $2 so it’s also a steal.
Hope you guys enjoy these tacos! Make it for a Mexican fiesta one night this week!
- 6 ounces tomatillos, husked
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 7 oz can of La Morena Red Mexican Sauce
- Tomatilo Salsa Roja that you made above
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast - cut in half
- 1 cup dry black beans
- 8 oz frozen corn
- 1/3 cup of La Morena Pickled Jalapeno Peppers - drained
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Diced Tomatoes
- Sour Cream
- Place all ingredients except bouillon cube and Red Mexican Sauce in a blender. Blend until everything is combined and is salsa consistency.
- Pour salsa verde into saucepan and heat on medium high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Add bouillon cube and Red Mexican Sauce and stir into salsa verde.
- Once boiling simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add salsa, chicken, dry black beans, corn and jalapeno peppers in slow cooker.
- Set on low for 7.5 hours.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks, put back in slow cooker. Cook for additional 30 minutes.
- Serve on tostadas and top with your favorite toppings (I do cheese and tomatoes!).