This Slow Coked Sausage and Sauerkraut will leave you feeling full and happy!
A few weeks ago I was left with a cup of sauerkraut. Being a person that doesn’t like any food to go waste I was going crazy with what to do with it. We used some of it up on chili cheese dogs but what was going to be next? Then I thought of all the great Polish dishes I ate as a kid. There was always sauerkraut alongside meat and mashed potatoes so that’s how this Slow Coked Sausage and Sauerkraut recipe was created.
It’s funny how recipes that just came out of no where end up being your favorite. This slow cooked dish was a huge hit at the dinner table leaving it a now favorite and often requested meal. The meat becomes so tender and juicy in the slow cooker and it picks up the spices of the brown sugar giving it a slight sweet taste. I served this on mashed potatoes which I would totally recommend but you could also serve over rice or noodles. For mashed potatoes I would always recommend this recipe, it’s a favorite!
So next time you’re wondering what’s for dinner, give this Slow Coked Sausage and Sauerkraut a shot. I think you will love it just as much as we do!
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pound of Italian sausage cut up into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- In a bowl combine the sauerkraut and brown sugar. Place this into slow cooker.
- Next arrange the sausage pieces and onion over the sauerkraut.
- Pour water on top.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, checking occasionally to make sure there is still water.
- Reduce to low and cook for 2 more hours.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.