I have been saving up this recipe for a few months anxiously awaiting to share it with you guys. The time has come, the best collard greens are here!
My obsession with collards came last year when I had some authentic ones down South. From there I was obsessed. I came home, got a few bunches of collard greens and promised myself I would try to learn to make them just as good (or at least close!). The outcome is a major mouth watering recipe. When I first made this exact recipe there was silence at the dinner table as we just wanted to savor the taste. Then a few days later they were requested again for dinner. Then a few days later, again. I’m at the point where I love these greens so much I would just have them for dinner, nothing else. They are so good. Just thinking about them gets me all worked up.
I’m kicking myself because we didn’t plant any collard seeds this year. What were we thinking? Don’t worry though, next season there will be collards. And lots of them!
Enjoy this delicious recipe and have a great weekend! Are you doing anything fun?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 slices turkey bacon (or regular)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound collard greens, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add bacon and cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pot, crumble and return to pot.
- Add garlic to pot and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add collard greens and stir until they begin to wilt.
- Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and brown sugar. Stir.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.