One of my fondest memories as a kid was Pizza Hut.
Remember Pizza Hut’s BOOK IT program where they talked students into reading as a activity in return for free pizza? If there’s one way to get kids into reading, it’s pizza. I’m totally serious. When I found out the more reading I did meant more pizza, I turned into a library monster. One of my life achievements is winning my city’s Winter Reading Contest. I received a picture in the newspaper with my gold medal in one hand, a book in another. Sounds pretty cool, right? Well it was because it meant pizza!
My parents would sometimes surprise me while I was in middle school by picking me up when school was over and taking me to Pizza Hut for dinner on Fridays. I was pretty pumped because this meant pizza and their bread sticks which I loved. Also, total highlight but one time they picked me up and surprised me with a black velvet hat with a red plaid flower on it, just like my hero Blossom wore.
So back to bread sticks. We are big pizza eaters in this house and always love a few bread sticks on the side to dip in additional marinara sauce. Buying frozen bread sticks is quick, but one night I was craving home made bread sticks so I made these. If you have any left over (good luck) they are equally delicious the following day.
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tablespoon instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- garlic salt for sprinkling on top
- Lightly grease parchment paper with non stick spray on a 11x7 baking sheet.
- Combine all ingredients together with a hand mixer at high speed for 60 seconds.
- Scoop the sticky batter onto your baking sheet, spreading it nearly to the edges.
- Use a pizza wheel or knife to score the dough into 6 1" wide strips.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drizzle bread sticks with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. As soon as you can touch them, cut the dough along the score lines with scissors.
- Place bread sticks on their side edges on the pan now and return back to the oven for 10 minutes.