This Chocolate Donuts with Creamy Chocolate Frosting recipe is the best! Also included is a dairy free option!
If you were to ask me right now what is one of my most proud baking moments it would be these Chocolate Donuts with Creamy Chocolate Frosting. These are good. I’m talking real good. I’m talking magical. I’m talking swoon worthy, take a seat and enjoy the next minute of your life (it will be eaten quickly, you won’t be able to stop yourself).
And get this, they’re dairy free.
Are you amazed as I am? I hope so.
If I knew I could be making dairy free donuts that taste this rich and chocolaty I would have tried dairy free baking a while ago. I really can’t get over how good these are. They lasted about 2 days in my house because I could not control myself. The donuts themselves are so rich, soft and cake like. And the frosting? Goodness gracious. How good is the frosting? Let’s just say I doubled the batch, one for the donuts and one to just eat which Matthew and I both did. We grabbed 2 spoons, and ate the frosting out of a plastic baggie over the next few days (ok, it lasted one day). Did you know you can put frosting in a freezer bag to freeze it? Life changing. The frosting is incredible. Just writing about it has me all worked up and wanting to rush back into the kitchen and make another batch (I probably will).
So what I’m saying is if you love donuts, if you love chocolate, if you are dairy free or aren’t dairy free, you need to try these donuts. If there’s one thing I have posted on this blog that I really want you to try, these are high up there. I’m begging here, please try them. I want you to feel the chocolate sensation!
For the recipe, I’m giving you dairy free and regular ingredients. Use whichever floats your donut loving heart.
- 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or dairy free butter - melted
- 2 tablespoons milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your donut pan with nonstick spray.
- Stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add oil, vanilla and water and continue to stir until smooth.
- Pour into donut pan and bake 10-12 minutes.
- In a bowl using a hand mixer, mix together powdered sugar and butter until creamed well.
- Add milk, cocoa powder and vanilla and continue to mix until creamy and well combined.
- Once donuts are cool, dip them into the frosting to cover the tops.
- Makes 6 donuts.