Last week I was invited to a Hello Cereal Lovers event hosted by General Mills serving creations by Justin Warner. As soon as I arrived and started to taste all these amazing cereal dishes my mind started to wonder quickly. I usually think of Cereal as something I splash milk on and call it a day, or occasionally bake cookies and make granola bars with. But savory? I never thought of cereal as savory but that has all changed. By thinking out of the (cereal) box I can totally see how cereal can be incorporated into dinner dishes and you will see a few recipes in the upcoming weeks as I try them out. While at the event I had one amazing rotini pasta dish and one extra delicious split pea soup – both had cereal in it. I hope you’re intrigued by this, because you’re soon to be hungry!
As soon as I got to the event I was greeted with smiles, then quickly offered a Fizzy Trix drink. Let me tell you a few things:
I accepted this drink because all I heard was “Trix”.
I don’t drink Vodka.
I started to drink it and quickly felt my cheeks become flushed.
I found a recipe book at a nearby table and quickly realized I was drinking Vodka.
I really enjoyed this Fizzy Vodka Trix drink. Alot.
I quickly started to dance on tables.
They asked me to leave.
Ok the last 2 things aren’t true. In fact I was offered another Fizzy Trix drink but declined because I have a fear with alcohol that I will become that stranger on the subway home. Random: Once on the way home Matthew and I were sitting on the subway, and a intoxicated man placed his hand on Matthew’s thigh and quickly stroked very high up. Matthew removed his hand. I giggled crazily. The man awoke embarrassed, confused, and then passed out again. It was a highlight of my year.
So for you Fizzy Drink lovers out there, I think you’re going to love this recipe. Next time friends are over at our home I’m going to make them and everyone is going to fall in love! Just no touching strangers on the subway on the way home.
- 1 cup (8 oz) vodka
- 1 cup Trix® cereal
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (2 limes)
- 2 pasteurized egg whites
- 2 cups ice cubes (not crushed)
- Dash of aromatic bitters
- Trix® cereal
- Place vodka in small bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cereal, let stand 15 minutes.
- Place cream in another small bowl, stir in remaining 1/2 cup cereal. Refrigerate 15 minutes, stirring once.
- In 1-quart saucepan, combine sugar and water. Heat to boiling, stir until sugar is dissolves. Remove from heat, set aside to cool.
- Stir vodka and cream mixtures. Strain mixtures into 2-cup glass measuring cup to remove cereal, discard cereal. Pour vodka-cream mixture into beverage shaker or quart-size jar with lid. Add lemon and lime juices, egg whites and sugar mixture. Shake drink like crazy. Add ice cubes to shaker, shake again like crazy.
- Strain drink into 4 chilled martini glasses. Hit the foamy top with a dash of bitters.
- Garnish With Cereal.
- This is 4 servings.
Oh, hey there!
The place was decorated with vintage General Mills boxes. Look at the Rocky Road, Yummy Mummy and Trix ones. Amazing, right?
And Count Chocula and Boo-Berry (my absolute favorite!)
Lucky Charms (another favorite!) and a flower vase full of cereal!
This was the Split Pea Soup I was talking about above. It was so savory and creamy. Don’t worry, I will be making this on the blog soon!
Then we went back to the kitchen and it was stocked of everything you can think of to cook with.
There was some raviolis made with Lucky Charms Marshmallows!
It was a fun night full of cooking, I had lots of fun and I can’t wait to start exploring more recipes using Cereal!