Creamy and Healthy Sweet Pepper Soup! Delicious sweet peppers are combined with chicken broth and rice to make it a dinner time favorite! This gluten-free recipe is easy to make and can easily be turned vegetarian by using vegetable broth. This is the perfect soup for using a overabundance of peppers from the garden or farmers market! Make sure to serve with some crusty Italian bread!
I was craving fresh soup a few nights ago so this Sweet Pepper Soup was born~ I was going to make my typical stuffed pepper soup but I wanted something more creamy. This soup tastes fantastic with fresh (and oh so pretty!) sweet peppers. We are also using 1 jalapeno pepper in this soup to give it a itty bitty kick. To give the soup a little more bite, we throw some rice in at the very end. This soup is delicious, definitely a year round favorite!
It’s the perfect soup to use up a overabundance of garden peppers up in! It also freezes amazing so you you could make a few batches of it if you want to save some for the Winter too! Even though this soup calls for sweet peppers, if you want to do a mixture of sweet and bell peppers that will taste delicious too! I often do it in the Summer with our garden peppers.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 pounds sweet peppers - chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeds removed) - minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Pour olive oil in pot on medium-high heat.
- Add sweet and jalapeno peppers and saute for 10 minutes until they soften up, continue stirring during this time.
- Add garlic and thyme. Stir for 4 more minutes.
- Pour chicken broth and red pepper flakes in. Stir to combine and continue heating for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and in batches add to your blender. Blend until creamy.
- Add soup back to pot when done.
- Add cooked rice and stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Alternatively you can use a mixture of sweet and bell peppers in this soup.
Hope you enjoy one of my favorite pepper meals!