EASY, MOIST Jalapeno Cornbread! This Southern recipe uses buttermilk to make the cornbread extra soft! The Jalapenos give it a little Mexican taste! I always serve homemade cornbread with dinner casseroles!
Cornbread. I love you.
Jalapeno Cornbread, I especially love you.
I love how moist you are. I love how brown your edges stay. I love the kick of the jalepenos.
Cornbread is such a comfort food. It’s always a dinner favorite on the side to soak up the juices, gravy or just devour by itself. When I found myself craving some cornbread to go along with BBQ ribs I whipped up this recipe. This cornbread is a winner, and for those that love a spicy kick you will love it. This recipe uses 3 tablespoons of diced jalapeno peppers which makes it spicy enough to give it that extra pop, but not too hot that you can’t eat 6 pieces of cornbread in a row. That’s real talk y’all.
This recipe asks for 1 cup of buttermilk which makes it as soft as a cloud. I didn’t have buttermilk but I learned how to make some quickly with ingredients you have in your kitchen. For 1 cup of buttermilk you need 1 cup of milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice. That’s it! Place your tablespoon of lemon juice in a 1 cup measuring cup. Add your milk to fill up to the 1 cup mark. Then let stand for 5 minutes, you will see it will start to thicken up. Boom, buttermilk! It’s that easy!
Next time you’re looking for a quick cornbread, look away from your usual box mix and make some homemade cornbread. It’s well worth it.
A little brown on the top..
Looking for more jalapeno recipes? Click here.
- 1/2 cup butter - melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (see notes for homemade if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl whisk together butter and sugar. Add in eggs, buttermilk and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Add flour, cornmeal, jalapeno peppers and salt. Continue to stir to combine.
- Spray a 8x8 pan with non stick spray. Pour cornbread mixture into pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Let cool for 20 minutes then cut into slices.
- For 1 cup of buttermilk you need 1 cup of milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice. That's it! Place your tablespoon of lemon juice in a 1 cup measuring cup. Add your milk to fill up to the 1 cup mark. Then let stand for 5 minutes, you will see it will start to thicken up. Boom, buttermilk! It's that easy!