EASY BAKED Onion Rings! This homemade baked onion rings recipe is a great side to cheeseburgers! The batter is made with flour, milk, egg, breadcrumbs and spices! We use our garden grown onions to make them – we love how crispy they are!
Let’s talk onion rings. We have harvested so many onions our kitchen looks like a onion shop (if that exists). So after Matthew threw me so many onion ring hints, I took them and promised him onion rings would be made. These onion rings are so easy to make and so delicious to eat!
This recipe uses creole spice mix which I include in the ingredients list to make your own. This seasoning is great for meat rubs, rice dishes and soups too. You can also buy this seasoning mix already made, but you probably have all the ingredients already in your kitchen. If you made this seasoning and put it into mason jars it would be make a awesome gift for fellow cooking lovers.
- 2 large onions - sliced into 1/4 to 1/2 inch rings
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg - beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon creole spice mix
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place half or your flour into a bowl.
- Mix the other half of flour with milk and beaten egg. Mix in breadcrumbs, creole spice mix, salt + pepper.
- One by one, dip your onion into the plain flour mixture.
- Next, dip your onion into the flour batter mixture. Let excess batter drip off before moving to the next step.
- Next, dip your onion into breadcrumbs so covered.
- Put onion slices on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cook until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Halfway through baking, flip each onion ring so it's baked evenly.
Beautiful garden onions. You guys are very pretty.
15-20 minutes. You want to keep a eye on them so they don’t burn. Mine took 16 minutes. Also you want to flip them midway, I say at the 8 minute mark is good.