Oven Roasted Creamy Cherry Tomato Sauce is a sweet and creamy tomato sauce recipe using cherry tomatoes.
My life has officially been taken over by tomatoes. Is there anything else to talk about except tomatoes right now? Tomato this, tomato that, do the tomato dance.
Do you know how many cherry tomatoes are in this big bowl below? 16 cups! And there’s a few plants that need to be picked… so double that or more. And that’s just cherry tomatoes!
I love cherry tomatoes and they work great for snacking and halved in pasta, but what about tomato sauce? Cherry tomatoes aren’t usually the first choice to use for homemade tomato sauce but I’m out to change that. Cherry tomatoes can result in a creamy tasty sauce which will knock your red socks off (red because it’s tomato season – what, you don’t match your socks to your harvest?). The key to this recipe is first we oven roast the tomatoes – oh yeah, baby. Then after that we throw them in a food processor with some fresh basil and season them. Then it’s made! It’s that easy. This homemade sauce doesn’t require you to simmer over the stove for 2 hours. I really love this creamy sauce over pasta, with lasagna, stuffed shells. It’s also pretty fantastic to add to pizza as a creamy sauce.
So when you pick your cherry tomatoes, change it up a bit and make some sauce. Bonus: You can freeze this sauce, throw in the freezer and defrost it months later for a spaghetti dinner in February.
Whenever I freeze sauce, puree, diced/stewed tomatoes, I always put in a freezer bag and lay flat while pressing it out, so it’s as thin as possible. Then once it’s frozen, I stand it up. This saves space and lets you have a better organized freezer.
Enjoy! This sauce is a favorite. 🙂
Update: This recipe finally has a video to go along with it! Hope this helps when making it! Please share on Facebook so other people can enjoy!
- 4 cups of tomatoes cherry tomatoes (stems off)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread tomatoes single layer in a pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with your onion powder.
- Bake for 35 minutes, your tomatoes should be wrinkly.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then put tomatoes in food processor.
- Add fresh basil, garlic powder and salt + pepper to taste in food processor.
- Blend to smooth and creamy.
- Use it right away, or throw it in the fridge to use tomorrow, or freeze it for next month.
- This makes 3 cups of sauce.