Bananas. Do you love them? I do. I’m in this routine where I eat 2-3 bananas, a day. It’s my snack and it makes me so happy. I have to buy 2 bunches a week at the store to keep up with my banana love.
Brown bananas though kind of freak me out. I can handle a little brown here or there, but when they go very brown and mushy, I can’t eat them with a spoon like some people do. So what to do? You can make a smoothie, that sounds good. Or you can make these banana muffins.
These mini muffins are extremely moist. I was blown away by how soft they were inside. They have a banana taste to them, but it’s not overwhelming, although it’s still there. My husband who doesn’t like bananas at all kept saying “I don’t like bananas, but these are really good”. See, they win non banana lovers over too! I baked these and took them to a Game of Thrones season finale (cry cry) party and they were all gone by the end of the night. So bake them up and cheer on Jon Snow (optional, but I highly suggest it)! Or just bake them and eat them! 🙂
UPDATE: Since this recipe has gotten so much love over the years I finally updated with a video! Enjoy – and please share if you love the muffins!
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 egg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Spray your muffin pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in bowl.
- Mix bananas, sugar, butter, and egg until smooth.
- Add in flour mixture, continuing to stir until everything is combined.
- Spoon this into muffin pan evenly.
- Combine flour, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Cut in your butter until it's crumbly.
- Add to the top of your muffins evenly.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, until the sides of your muffins are slightly golden brown.
- This makes 24 mini muffins or 6 regular size muffins.
- If you are making regular size muffins, bake for 25-27 minutes.
Take your mushy bananas, you probably won’t even need to mash them if they’re super soft. Mine were.
For this recipe you only need half an egg, so I break it apart with my fingers.
Add your other ingredients to the bananas..
Mix bananas, sugar, butter, and egg until smooth.
Then add your flour mixture.
And keep stirring until it’s all combined.
Spray your mini muffin pan with some nonstick spray.
Now we want to start to build the crumble. This crumble isn’t your typical crumble as it “melts” onto your muffin for a full impact of taste! Combine flour, cinnamon and brown sugar.
Then add your butter and combine it all.
Sprinkle a little bit of the crumble mixture onto each mini muffin.
Can’t you wait? I can’t!
Bake for 10-13 minutes. Mine took 11, keep a eye on them. When their sides are brown (you can see on the edges of each muffin in the pan) they’re good to go.
And when they come out, holy moly. The smell of banana and cinnamon will take over. I can’t wait for you to taste them!
Let them cool for a few minutes, they will be easy to take out of the muffin pan when cool.
Admire then for a minute… and then eat them all!